Sunday, August 5, 2012

Book Bags, Pencils, and Nerves

I have one very excited daughter!  What generated all this excitement?  We went school supply shopping today.  She picked out her new book bag and pencil box, and we bought all the items on her supply list (including 84 pencils - that is A LOT of sharpening I need to do).  She is pumped!

During our shopping adventure, my daughter whispered to me that she is a little nervous about moving on to the next grade.  I tried my best to reassure her and reminded her that she is one smart cookie.  I know she is ready for all that the new year will bring.

As I sit back and reflect on the day, I chuckle at how much her feelings mirror my own.  I too am very excited about the new school year.  One of the great things about the education profession is that every year there is a new and fresh start.  Each year there are new, eager, smiling faces to greet you.  I love that!

I have to admit though, I too am a bit nervous.  This year will be a busy one.  We will continue working on updating curriculum maps, implementing a new RTI program, and another grade level is joining our building.  And that is just the beginning of the list.  I am going to try to remember though, that just like my daughter, I too am ready for this year.   I have a staff that knows their stuff, students that I can't wait to meet, and entering year two as a principal I even have a little more confidence than I did last year.      

A new year equals a new adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Just saw your post on twit...you have to Read Opening Minds by Peter Johnston if you haven't already...it's the perfect book to think about classroom conversation...Can't recommend it highly enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the book recommendation Amy. I haven't read that one yet. I will check it out!

      Delete