Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Watching Our Garden Grow

Let me begin by saying, we love fruits and veggies at our house, but I was not blessed with a green thumb.  A gardener, I am not.  I can grow some fairly attractive flowers, but if I manage to grow a handful of cherry tomatoes, I am overjoyed.

When two staff members told me they wanted to put in a school garden, I knew I would be no help to them on the gardening front, but I thought a garden was a great idea.  Our students could learn about plants, see where their food actually comes from, and maybe develop a taste for some healthy fruits and veggies while they were at it.

The garden began with a set of grow lights in the front lobby.  The students watched the seeds sprout and were intrigued.  Now after lots of hard work digging and preparing the soil, the plants are in the ground and they look amazing!  I can take credit for none of this hard work, but I was very impressed watching it from the sidelines.

I am so proud of the staff members that took the initiative to get this started.  I have heard so many positive comments from staff, students, and community members.  I can't wait to see how the plants and this project will continue to grow.

















No comments:

Post a Comment