Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Journal of Memories

This year my daughter and I started a very low tech form of communication . . . a mom and daughter journal.  I wanted to create a fun way to encourage her to write and a way to record some of our memories.

We started the journal about mid-way through her first grade year.  I let her purchase a special notebook at school - which she was SUPER excited about.  Something about putting quarters in that vending machine just makes her day!  We used the notebook to write letters back and forth to one another.  Nothing fancy.  Sometimes the letters are only a few sentences long, but she gets so excited when she gets a new letter from me.  We write about the events at the time, her thoughts, whatever.  It's just a fun way to communicate.  We don't write to each other everyday.  If we get to it once a week, that's great.  There was even an unfortunate period when I cleaned the house and put it in a "very safe place" that I couldn't remember.  Yikes!  Luckily I found it this week, so the letters have begun again.

It has been interesting to see how her handwriting and writing skills have changed over just the past few months.  I hope the journal is something we continue doing.  I know she probably won't want to write to me when she's a teenager, but I am going to cherish this time while I've got it!

February
June

No comments:

Post a Comment