Monday, March 25, 2013

Thanks and Goodbye

I took it for granted.  I thought it would be there forever, and now I find out it won't.

When I tell my current friends and colleagues about my high school experience, they often think I'm joking.  I graduated with a class of 23.  Yep, 23 students total in my senior class.

I attended Marion Catholic High School, home of the Fighting Irish.  We were small in size, but big in other ways.  For me, those other ways were opportunities.  In a school that small, no one is turned away.  You want to be in show choir, but you can't carry a tune?  Come on in, we'll still teach you all the songs and cheesy dance moves.  You want to be a cheerleader, but you are a quiet, reserved person?  We'll teach you how to stand proud in front of the crowd.  My list could go on and on.

For some, I know a small school is confining.  For me however, it opened up the world.  I was able to try things I might not have been able to do in a different environment.  I felt supported and encouraged to become the best person I could be, and I am so thankful for that.

I was sad to read this week that my alma mater will be closing at the end of the year.  I am thankful for all that Marion Catholic gave me.

I hope that now as I guide my own children and students, that I can give them the same support and encouragement that my teachers, parents and classmates gave me.

Thanks Marion Catholic for giving me the foundation I needed to be strong and the support structure I needed to grow.  You will be missed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment